Sunday, September 12, 2010

Church in Dar es Salaam

Our day started with much anticipation.  This is a day that we have looked forward to for a very long time.  We traveled the same road last year to this small church.  Pastor Joseph, a tiny young man, newly married to his precious wife, Penda, is anxiously awaiting our arrival.  This pastor is very small in stature, yet a giant heart and an enourmous zeal and love for his Lord! 

The church was not within driving range for the taxi by the way - we had to walk again this year a long distance.  But I was prepared this time.  I had leather bottom sandals with grips that held to the ground!  I walked between Pastor Moses and Eddie, so if I tripped one of them was sure to catch me.

In the distance you could hear the voice of Pastor Joseph.  Penda came running to greet us as we got close to the church.  Never in America are we greeted with the passion and love that we are in Africa.   It's so beautiful to hear the voices of the people praising the Lord.  Obviously we do not understand the language, yet you just seem to know in your spirit what is being sung and/or said.  Once Pastor Moses is asked to introduce Eddie, he then has an interpreter.   The presence of the Lord was so sweet and beautiful in this small little make-shift church on a hill! 

As I sit here and reflect on the sweet, sweet spirit that we experienced while in this church, just outside our window I can hear the Muslem prayer being sung from a Mosque just around the corner of this hotel.  If only they could experience the realness of our Risen Savior Jesus Christ, I am sure they would be singing a different song!!!!  

Eddie's message to the people today was a word he had received from the Lord for the people of this church...."Tell them that I Am all they need".   You know the people of Tanzania aren't that different from the people of America.  We get so wrapped up in our circumstances and forget the most important ingredient in our lives, Jesus.  With all our gains in life, and what seems to be important to us, without Christ, what have we truly gained?

After the church service, Pastor Joseph & Penda invited us to their home.   I wonder what  the true definition of poverty is?  We just visited in a home of a young couple that lives in what we would no doubt consider poverty.  The room was approximately 10x10, curtain hanging over the entrance door.   They had 2 chairs & a small sofa, with only enough room to squeeze by each piece of furniture.   From that room was another doorway covered with a fabric, which held only a small bed.  Outside was a room that is their kitchen.  No sink, no running water, no electricity.  Also outside was the "outhouse".   Yes, most would say "yes that's poverty". But we left there not seeing this at all.  We left seeing that they are rich!  Rich in their relationship with Jesus!  They are full of joy, happiness, laughing and singing.  They were proud of their humble abode, not ashamed, not embarrassed.   So I would say that based on this visit, my definition of proverty is not the lack of THINGS, but the lack of JESUS!!!!

We will leave at 6:00 am tomorrow morning for Mwanza.  We will be staying there for the remainder of our visit.  And since this BUS RIDE IS 16 HOURS, I'm going to close now and go night night.  Naku Penda Sana (We love you very much) Eddie and Janice

2 comments:

kandis said...

It sounds like you had a great first day. I can only imagine what it would be like living that way. I do feel blessed cause I would probably starve to death. Anyway, I love you both and miss you and I am glad you are having a good time.

stasee said...

hey!!! all i can say is awsome!!! hope and pray that one day i can be there with you all. how yo' feets doin' so far? ha! please send more pics. ms jeannie and i love them. well, gotta go. there are some "old farts" looking at me. what?! did i say that? pray for me!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU