Thursday, September 30, 2010

A DAY WITHOUT LEARNING IS A DAY WASTED

 My daddy told me many years ago that "a day without learning, is a day wasted".   We have just experienced 18 days in Tanzania, Africa and not one day passed that we did not learn something!  Bwana Asifewe!!  Every time we visit this country, we come back with a better understanding and experience something new.  Having the experience of actually living with them, instead of staying in a hotel the entire trip, has given us a new perspective on our lives and on theirs.
I have learned that no matter what state I am in that I should be content.  This is a commandment from the Word of God.  We read the scripture, but do we honestly grasp what it is saying to us?  I get it now!  I have just experienced cultural differences that without stepping back, getting a grip, and picking up my Bible to remind me, I don't think I would have been able to maintain our stay in Mwanza.  T

Kitonga Village child
I have learned that beauty comes from within!  I can stand in front of the mirror and paint a face on, walk away with a sigh of relief that I can now face the world without embarrassment, but all the makeup in the world does not make me beautiful.  Beauty comes from your heart!

I have learned that my circumstances should not control my ability to live.  Although my circumstances can seem to be overwhelming at times and I may think that if these circumstances don't "get fixed", I won't be able to survive  another day, I have realized that "no weapon formed against me shall prosper"!  It's only a circumstance and if I believe the Word of God, (and I do) then I will refuse to allow this circumstance to control my life.


 I have learned that I am truly blessed.  I have learned that even on my worst day, it is not as bad as many face throughout this world.  I can live without air conditioning, I can live without a vehicle, I can live if I only have rice to eat and I can live if I don't have a mirror to look at myself everyday.  But I cannot live without my friend Jesus.

We arrived home last night from a long, tiring ride in a plane for 26 hours!  We sat in the airport at Dar es Salaam for 9 hours before our departure.  During this time, we didn't sit in an air conditioned building with a shopping mall and nice restaurants surrounding us.  We sat outside, on a hard bench, walking around occasionally, until it was time for us to load the plane that would finally take us home.  Wow!  Another test  - this trip was one big test - but I am proud to say that we have passed and we are ready for the next chapter!

Friends picked us up at the airport and as we were riding home, we were reminded of our rides on the bus and the taxi while we were in Tanzania.  What a difference to be on a highway that has lanes divided and red lights that actually work.  We didn't hear a horn blow the entire trip from the airport to our apartment. 

As we opened our locked door and walked into our beautiful apartment, we were reminded of the homes that we have visited that have clay walls, dirt floors, no furniture, just empty rooms.  As we flipped on our light switch, we have light that fills the rooms, and smell the nice fragrance of home and are reminded of the homes that have no electricity, no running water and smell only of dirt and body odor.  

House of Pastor, Kitonga Village
 Oh, my, as we pull back our comforter and plump our pillows, climb into the most comfortable bed in the entire world, we are reminded of the dirt floors that serve as beds, and the pieces of cloth that may be used  to place under their heads.  We are truly blessed!  We serve a mighty, mighty God.

Although we realize that we cannot change the world, we do realize that we can make a difference.   Not only have we learned from them, they have learned from us.  We do have a lot of work to do, and we will continue to press toward that mark! 




 




No comments: